Flour- 2 1/2 cup (50/50 wheat flour and all-purpose flour)
active dry yeast - 1 1/2 tbsp
milk - 1/2 cup
water- 3/4 cup
sugar- 1 tsp
kasoori methi- 1 tbsp
Ajwain seeds- 1/2 tsp
salt- 1/2 tsp
oil - 3 tbsp
green beans- 10
cabbage, chopped- 1/2 cup
ginger, grated- 1 tsp
oil- 2 tbsp
asafoetida- 1/4 tsp
turmeric powder- 1/2 tsp
coriander powder- 1 tsp
chili powder- 1/2 tsp
sambar powder- 1/2 tsp
curry powder- 1/2 tsp
dry mango powder- 1 tsp
cumin seeds- 1 tsp
curry leaves- 1 string
coriander leaves, chopped- 2 tbsp
- Warm the milk and water. Dissolve the dry yeast and sugar in it and set it aside for 5-10 minutes until it becomes frothy.
- Mix the flour, salt, kasoori methi, and ajwain seeds oil in a bowl. Add the frothy mix and yeast mixture and start kneading the dough with warm water.
- Knead the dough well for 10 minutes. transfer the dough to a greased bowl and cover it. Allow the dough to rise for an hour.
- In the meantime steam the chopped potatoes carrots and green beans.
- Heat some oil in a pan. Add cumin seeds to crackle. Add ginger and curry leaves and saute it for a few seconds and then add the chopped cabbage and asafoetida and saute them until the cabbage turns golden brown.
- Then add turmeric, coriander powder, chili powder, curry powder, sambar masala, dry mango powder and saute them for a minute.
- Add the boiled veggies to the pan and mash them. Add salt and saute them well for 5 minutes to make sure that all water from the vegetables has been evaporated.
- Turn off the heat and sprinkle some coriander leaves and allow it to cool for 10 minutes.
Rolling and stuffing
- After an hour when the dough has doubled its size, punch and knead the dough again on a surface dusted with flour. knead for 5 minutes.
- Divide the dough into 10 equal parts.
- Line the baking tray with parchment sheet and dust it with some flour and arrange the rolls with enough space to expand.
- Roll the filling about 3/4 size of the roll and stuff it into the rolls. The rolls would have risen a little bit. Flatten the rolls on your palm and place the filling in the middles and close them by pinching the sides.
- Place the stuffed rolls on the baking tray with the pinched side the rolls facing downwards.
- Brush some oil and cover the rolls and allow it to rise for 10 minutes
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Brush some milk on the rolls and bake them for 15-20 minutes until the buns turn golden brown
- As soon as you remove the buns from the oven immediately brush them with oil or butter. This makes the buns to remain soft once it cools down.
- Allow the buns to cool and serve them with your favorite chutney.