Sprouting whole moong dal is quite simple. Here is a step by step tutorial for sprouting the moong dal.
- On Day1 night wash and soak a cup of moong dal with surplus water.
- On Day 2 morning, wash the moong dal in cold running water and soak them again.
- On Day 2 night drain the water and sprinkle some water on top of the it and leave them in a dark place.As the weather was cold I placed the moong dal in my oven. If you are staying in warmer places, then you can put the moong dal in a muslin cloth tie them and hang it in a dark place.
- Day 3 morning check the dal if it has sprouted. It would have sprouted if you are in living in a warm climate. If you are staying in cold places the moong dal would have just started sprouting and hence sprinkle some water and put them back in the oven.
- The moong dal sprouts would be read by Day 4 night.
- The sprouts can be stored in a glass contained and refrigirated and it stays good for a week.
Moong sprouts are good source of proteins, Vitamin -C, potassium and iron. These sprouts can be used in raw salads and also making curries although it is best eaten raw or very lightly cooked.