This is a recipe that is made out of besan (chick pea flour) in a gravy of curd. It is mainly a marwaadi dish that i borrowed from a marwaadi friend. I tried it as this is my husbands favourite and is very simple and easy to make. It tastes good with roti and paranthas.
BESAN (Chick pea flour) 1 cup
Oil 5-6 tbsp
Red chilli powder- 2 tsp
Salt to taste
water (very little to make dough)
Curd 1 cup
Hing (Asafoetida) 1/4 tsp
Turmeric Powder 1/4 tsp
Dhania (coriander) powder 1 tsp
Cumin seeds 1 tsp
1. Make a dough of chick pea flour, 1 tsp chilli powder, salt with oil and very little water. Knead well and make long rolls (just like soup sticks).
2. Boil water in a vessel and dip these sticks and boil for 10-15 minutes. This is called gattha.
3. Take out the sticks and allow them to cool a little and cut them into small pieces.
4. Take a pan and heat 1-2 tbsp oil. Add cumin seeds and asafoetida.
Add 1tsp red chilli powder immediately followed by 1 cup curd and mix well.
5. Add coriander powder, turmeric powder and salt and stir till the oil separates.
6. Add the boiled gatthas in to the gravy and cook for 3-4 minutes.
7. Add water if the gravy is too thick.