This is a dish that i saw on tarla dalal's recipe index and tried it. It looked yummy on the net and tasted the same when made. Its simple to make and goes well with chappatis. And this was one of the jain recipes posted. I made this as it is. Do try this out sometime.
Chick peas (chana) 2 cups
Bottle Gourd (Lauki) 1 cup
Cumin Seeds (jeera) 2 tsp
Bayleaf (tejpatta) 1
Chilli powder 1 tsp
Milk 4 tbsp
Tomatoes 2 medium
Salt to taste
To be dry roasted and powdered
Cumin seeds (jeera) 2 tsp
Coriander seeds (dhania) 4 tsp
Dry red chillies 4
Cloves (laung) 4
Cinnamon (dalchini) 2"
Pomegranate seeds (anardana) 3 tsp
1. Pressure cook chick peas with bottle gourd for 6-7 whistles and keep aside.
2. Heat oil in pan and add oil. Add cumin seeds and bayleaf to it.
3. As they crackle, add the ground masala powder, chilli powder, ginger, coriander leaves and salt.
4. Mix well and add boiled chick peas pumpkin along with the water.
5. Simmer and cook for some time.
6. Add milk, mix well, simmer and cook for some more time.
7. Once cooked, add sliced tomatoes, mix well and remove from flame.
Serve hot garnished with coriander leaves. You can even add some lime juice to it depending upon individual taste.